Good non-executive directors use many different sources to get assurance, they look for patterns within the data and links between them and benchmark their own trust with others.
Your organisation will signpost you to the data sources that will support you in your role, these may also be useful if you are not already supported:
- Performance data
- Staff survey
- WRES data – Workforce Race and Equality Standards data
- The Model Hospital
- National Patient Survey
- In Foundation Trusts – Lead Governor perspective, attend Council of Governor meetings and receive papers
- Trust and ICS Board papers
- Your own observations as you are out and about in your organisations
- Patient Advice and Liaison (Pals) service – this function in your organisation will produce regular reports
- Friends of / League of Friends
- Ask for patient stories and experiences as regular board items if they are not currently included Care Opinion is a site where patients share good and bad experiences. It can be a useful source of patient stories.